Most Recent Update

BBQ Blog: 11-06-11; Cooking Blog: 11-03-11; Hold 'EM Blog: 11-13-11



Jan 16, 2010

Some Assembly Required

The meat grinder came last Thursday (January 7th), as promised by FedEx. It appears to be pretty easy to assemble but requires food grade silicone spray for lubrication and to prevent rusting. In addition to the spray, I need to find casings. Using the Google I was able to find a place that sells both casings and the spray, so in principle I should be able to save on shipping. I could probably have spent some more time searching for the best deal, but…


When I made sausage the last time, I recall reading a lot about how much a pain it was to deal with the casings. You had to untangle them, rinse (flush) them and then put them on the stuffing attachment, sort of like putting on a sock. In the end, I was more focused on the fact that the Kitchenaide was overheating and in that light the casings were the least of my worries.

With the new grinder, I am sure there will be other start up issues; they don’t recommend using it with out meat so no dry runs. To make things easier, I am going to buy preflushed casings ,already untangled and loaded on to forms that will make it easy to put on the stuffing tube.

Good on ya,

1 comment:

Chris said...

I can't wait to hear about your first run! I've wanted to try it.