Most Recent Update

BBQ Blog: 11-06-11; Cooking Blog: 11-03-11; Hold 'EM Blog: 11-13-11



Jan 1, 2010

Jumping the Gun

I could not wait for the meat grinder to show up (January 7th) so I bought some lean ground pork (90/10) from the Hannafords’s and tried out a recipe for sausage gravy I found on the internets. I searched for recipes that were lowerrr in fat and calories. Most used vegetarian sausage; what’s the point of that? I will just spend a few more minutes on the tread mill (another New Year’s resolution).

Some suggest 1% milk, since you will need some fat to make gravy but I have seen a few recipes with skim milk. Here‘s my first try at it (few changes from the original):

1/2 small red onion - chopped,
1/2 tsp Marjoram
1/2 tsp ground sage
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 tbs flour
3 tbs of Chicken stock (to deglaze the pan, water works as well)
2 cups skim milk (preheated)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

I cooked the sausage, onion and spices then removed the meat. I deglazed the pan with stock and then added the flour slowly and let it turn brown. Then I added the milk, slowly to make the gravy.

I served the gravy with Grands biscuits and it came out okay. Next time I’ll use less flour (per the original recipe) and less red pepper flakes. It was too thick and too spicy. I also need to work on my “mise en place“.

Good on ya

This recipe is based on a posting at:
Dad's Low(er) Fat Sausage Gravy

3 comments:

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Chris said...

I am totally with you. I'd rather work harder in the gym than cut back cream, butter, and pork fat:)

Alison said...

Sounds Good! Welcome to the Foodie Blogroll!!