Most Recent Update

BBQ Blog: 11-06-11; Cooking Blog: 11-03-11; Hold 'EM Blog: 11-13-11



Jan 10, 2010

The Enemy of the Good

We have decided every week, schedule permitting, to have sausage gravy and biscuits on the weekends. I figured it made more sense to have it on the Lord’s Day than the Sabbath; pork on the Sabbath, that‘s just crazy talk. In making it the first time, I learned a few things, as previously noted. My second attempt was much better. In addition to the minor recipe changes, I used a cast iron Dutch oven. For those trying this at home, it is probably better to season the cookware the night before, unless you like brunch; my mise en place still needs work. The original attempt was in my cast iron pan which made it hard to whisk in the flour. In addition to the high walls, the Dutch oven lends itself to outdoor cooking. So no excuses for not eating sausage gravy and biscuits just because I am at a contest…

This attempt was good , but not perfect; I need to work on thickening the gravy (probably my technique). I will probably not spend any more time working on the sausage gravy recipe and instead will focus on “la methode“. In the end it is better to have a good sausage gravy recipe now then to start all over again and try to make the perfect sausage gravy recipe. Like many things in life, we can’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good…


The next thing I need to work on is the biscuits. There was an episode of Diners, Dives, and Drive-Ins that showed a restaurant which served sausage gravy with cheddar biscuits. They sound tasty. A quick search of the internets reveals that for the most part cheddar biscuits are just regular biscuits with cheddar cheese mixed in. I also found a few recipes that add other flavors as well as the cheddar. Cheddar garlic biscuits anyone…

Good on ya,

2 comments:

Chris said...

Makes sense to me!

Love the line about "perfect is the enemy of good".

BBQErnie said...

Thanks for reading. I checked out your blog, you have some great photos of food